Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Lights Out

Lights Out
I said yesterday that smoking was my greatest vice, but that was not altogether accurate. I would say that my greatest vice is a lack of discipline. My good friends tried to warn me of it, telling me I should buy groceries, for instance, but like most others, I thought my fault was acceptable. I no longer think so, and that is why I have quit smoking. Next I will try to discipline my behavior in other ways: staying quiet when I'm upset, being more careful with my money, etc, but I can only focus on one problem at a time.

[8:55am There's suddenly another customer in the store with me. It's kind of early for anyone to be using the computers here, but I passed a CFOX pickup truck on the way here and it is parked just down the road. I just wanted to alert my online monitors of this to check for anything fishy with the system here as I type.] That stunt which was pulled to block out my lyrics index got me thinking of tyranny this morning. My assailants are allowed to block out my music index and call me suspicious when I am innocent, but I can not block out their radio stations and TV networks for being truly suspicious after they have clearly proven by their Nickleback promotions and Blue Rodeo promotions and support for corrupt TV stars like Ellen or Matt that they are still in illegal possession of my property. That is an extremely unbalanced control structure which smacks of tyranny.

I was joyfully enlightened by Plato's discussion concerning justice (my title is meant to poke fun at the confusion caused by Plato's speaking through the character of Socrates) to learn that there are good sound reasons to reject the law of nature which dictates the rule of the weak by the strong. Power is not merely justified by strength but by character. A leader may be rich, but he may also be a fool. A leader may be brilliant, but he may also be arrogant. Plato described the tyrant as a light which shines in on itself. So is television. (Radio is a megaphone in a soundproof echo chamber.)

Why would someone want a job in front of a TV camera or a microphone? For the power. I finally have the answer to the only question that stumped me on my entrance exam to my college advertising course, why do you want to work in advertising? For power! Of course! That's what I should have said, but I didn't know myself well enough yet. I totally flunked that portion. And what do I now hope to gain by sharing my work on the web? You guessed it! Wanting power is quite natural for all, but gaining it is somewhat more rarely justified.

Broadcasters obviously don't ponder such questions at length or they wouldn't have made stars out of roadies with my music, out of extras with my comedy, and even out of reporters with my justice. Doing so turned these creeps into monsters of Sauron like proportions. Broadcasting staff erred greatly in expecting their hate for rising talent like myself, from the ranks of the 'ordinary' masses they prefer to suppress, to be shared by their subscribers. Instead they broke the hearts of millions with their cruel fraud. Their folly with my property also cost them considerable profits, at least since I returned to the public eye in 2010.

11:17am: So, now that I've established that we all seek power, when is power justified? Hopefully you have gathered that it is when the proverbial light shines outward on all; in other words, when it benefits its subordinates. Perhaps the greatest example to illustrate my point is the supreme power of God. (I need you atheists to stretch your imaginations for this.) God is great because He gives us free will. We live as we choose to live here, even when that choice hurts God. This limitless measure of freedom is commensurate with the measure of God's fitness for power. In my particular faith, the measure of Christ's fitness for divinity is His willingness to serve. Christ tried to explain this to the apostles when He washed their feet at the Last Supper, and I tried to elaborate on it in my poem, the Servant.

So the corporate media were wrong to criticize me for being too humble to be a star; they should have instead praised my humility. The corporate media has the potential to be a force for good in our world by their well known freedom of the press. Some of their more outstanding figures from the past, like Edward R. Murrow, used this freedom to challenge and defeat the evil of their time. Now it seems that they use this freedom to tyrannize us, though they may be more and more held back by the restrictions imposed by monopolistic media magnates. The result appears to be an influential media that freely pans my existence in the face of my unquestionable fame.

I hope media people don't hate me too much because I am more like them than they might think. I could easily have ended up in an advertising agency, working right alongside them, if I did not envision such a special future for myself. I now submit this vision as my grounds for power. It is a vision of hope and beauty, which promises to benefit all of my followers, including those who work in broadcasting, at least as much as it does me.

1:47pm: I've corrected the above reporter's name to Edward R. Murrow and provided a link to an earlier post about him. It sounds like there might be some more shenanigans going on with people who need to power trip with their cell phones, but I invite you to call the police and demand protection from their crimes. If this is true, you should let the police know that crimes against my posts hurt the whole population and not just me alone. My protection is otherwise irrelevant to yours. And see if you can straighten out who wrote this hit I keep hearing about. I'm sure it wasn't anyone from the abysmal sounding radio I was forced to listen to in the liquor store today.

6:14 pm: Yes, power is evil, but it is a necessary evil. It lets us organize into an efficient collective. Yes, power is corrupting, but that is why it must be reserved for people of superior character. (As for my character, I think I deserve credit for staying calm while listening to the cackle of a production worker watching a YouTube comedian violate my copyright as I typed this.) Handing power out to fools, as broadcasters so casually did with my popular works, was disastrous, not just in terms of breaking hearts, but inflicting terrible financial losses. Their arrogant refusal to admit this fault may well send them and their children to the poor house before they see my point. The wealthy stars they've been propping up will certainly abandon them in their hour of need. And while their power of illusion is impressive, they cannot fake their profits.

  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2017. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment